Connexin is delighted to announce a brand-new partnership with Capital Enterprise, and Barnsley Council through the TEAM SY (Technology Ecosystem Acceleration, and Market-Making South Yorkshire) project to support the development and delivery of an early stage business support programme focused on the Internet of Things technology (IoT) in South Yorkshire, based at the DMC in the heart of The SEAM – Barnsley’s Digital Campus. TEAM SY is part-funded through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Capital Enterprise and Connexin have partnered to create and deliver an Internet of Things (IoT) ‘pre-accelerator’, a programme which supports businesses and entrepreneurs with an initial technology solution to develop this to market. The partnership includes Barnsley Council, and its DMC technology business hubs, home to a range of innovative businesses and programmes, which also host the successful IoT Tribe technology accelerator programme. IoT is the technology that brings together data, networks and physical items and includes everything from manufacturing sensors and monitoring systems to wearable technologies such as smart watches.
The project will support four to five cohorts of early-stage entrepreneurs and ‘spin outs’ from existing businesses over the 2-year period. The pre-accelerator will enable South Yorkshire based technology entrepreneurs and start-ups in IoT to prototype new products or solutions through development and testing, as well as gain guidance and mentorship in technology adoption and business growth.
Capital Enterprise is a body of connectors, influencers, investors, and policymakers, collaborating to serve and super-charge the UK’s technology start-up scene. Their vision is to make the UK the best place in the world to start and scale a business through a powerful membership network of leading universities and colleges, accelerators, co-working spaces, enterprise agencies, innovation institutes and public sector organisations.
TEAM SY is a £4.6m ERDF part-funded project delivered by Capital Enterprise alongside delivery partner Barnsley Council that will directly support high-value digital and tech businesses to collectively raise over £20m in private investment and significantly increase the number of high value jobs in South Yorkshire.
Darren Balcombe, Deputy CEO at Capital Enterprise said upon announcement of the partnership:
“Partnering with an organisation such as Connexin for our pre-accelerator programme is a great way to support technology entrepreneurs and start-ups in IoT prototype development and testing as part of the TEAM SY project.
Connexin has vast experience in developing IoT solutions and taking them to market especially with their work alongside Hull City Council in recent years.
I’m very excited to announce this new partnership and role which will play a big part in supporting the tech ecosystem in South Yorkshire and investing in the next generation of IoT start-ups and entrepreneurs looking to make a difference.”
Cllr Tim Cheetham, Cabinet Spokesperson for Regeneration and Culture at Barnsley Council, said:
“We’re delighted to welcome Connexin as a partner with the TEAM SY project which brings together both the public and private sector to fuel the digital economy in the region.
“Their technical expertise will help our region’s start-ups by guiding their ideas through testing, prototyping, and developing concepts into success stories.
“The workspace, coworking and technical facilities on site at the DMC are fundamental to supporting tech start-ups and build on our successful Enterprising Barnsley business support – we look forward to seeing business growth stem from this innovative partnership.
The partnership will provide IoT start-ups and entrepreneurs with expert support from the Connexin team in developing solutions and taking them to market. They will also benefit from guidance on operationalising ideas and models. As a leading Smart City and IoT operator in the UK, Connexin has vast experience in developing IoT solutions as well as providing city-wide carrier-grade connectivity through LoRaWAN® network deployments so are perfectly positioned to support early-stage providers who are going through a similar pathway.
Ralph Varcoe, Chief Growth Officer at Connexin said:
“At Connexin we’ve seen first-hand the power of IoT in better understanding the world around us to make more informed decisions.
Working alongside Capital Enterprise and TEAM SY we’re excited to support the tech ecosystem in South Yorkshire as well as make a difference to tech entrepreneurs, the world of IoT and the end-users of IoT solutions.
We’ve been where these companies are and as we scale up, the opportunity to support start-ups and businesses that are on a similar journey enables us to help develop new ideas and solutions and further challenge the industry.”
Whilst the role is primarily supporting TEAM SY, the successful applicant will be working day-to-day alongside the wider Connexin team providing support for pre-accelerator members from a solution and network perspective.
The pre-accelerator also creates pathways for start-ups and entrepreneurs towards the IoT Tribe Connected Places Accelerator, a successful programme supporting IoT companies at their next growth stage that includes pilots and trials of their technology in the local and regional landscape.
If you are a business interested in applying for the pre-accelerator or any other TEAM SY programmes you can find more information on the TEAM SY website and become part of the community to receive updates here.
- Founded in Hull in 2006, Connexin is an innovative and disruptive technology company specialising in building and operating award-winning Smart City infrastructure to support the Internet of Things.
- Connexin has established itself as a market leader in the provision of end-to-end Smart City solutions, such as Smart Water, Smart Parking, Smart Lighting and Smart Waste.
- Hull became the first city in the UK to benefit from its own purpose-built Smart City Operating System thanks to Connexin.
- Connexin gave Sheffield a smart technology overhaul with the CityOS platform to integrate, view, manage and respond to information to improve highway maintenance services and revolutionise service delivery across the city and surrounding areas.
- Connexin in partnership with Cisco and Newcastle City Council has helped deliver the UK’s smartest street, which was announced at the Great Exhibition of the North.
- Connexin was named one of the Top 100 Fastest-Growing Technology Companies in the Northern Tech Awards.
About TEAM SY
- TEAM SY (Technology Ecosystem Acceleration, and Market-Making South Yorkshire) exists to expand and improve the start-up support and investment ecosystem in South Yorkshire by attracting, co-developing and funding world-class pre-accelerator, accelerator and investment readiness programmes to the region.
- A £4.6m ERDF part-funded project delivered by Capital Enterprise with delivery partners, Barnsley Council and will run from October 2020 until June 2023.
- The TEAM SY project encompasses three main strands of activities:
- Connect People: Being a visible presence in the entrepreneurial ecosystem, making introductions, signposting entrepreneurs to resources.
- Connect Institutions: Ensuring that the ecosystem is “joined up” by sharing information between entrepreneurial support organisations and institutions.
- Increase pre-acceleration and acceleration in South Yorkshire: Work with local, regional and national partners to co-design and fund industry-specific pre-accelerators and accelerators, and work with external partners to attract acceleration programmes to the region.